Friday, June 6, 2008

Welcome

The purpose of this blog is to explore the power of culture. While culture is many things across several fields of expertise, it is a fundamental variable in humanity's pursuit of civilization. To illustrate what I mean, take for example another such variable, the economy. Today, after Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations and centuries of thought, societies consciously regulate their economy. The relevant question is: to what purpose? In my opinion, this is a question of civilization that may include many answers:

Existential: Because we can.

Social: To advance the common good.

Humanistic: To confer dignity to every human life.

Scientific: To redirect wealth to the advancement of science and discovery that are not at first necessarily profitable.

Economical: To reach the most efficient distribution of wealth.

Political: Because society demands it.

Whatever the answer to "why?" may be, it is clear to me that the economy is an inherent element of human social existence. It is a variable of our existence that society has collectively sought to attenuate so that we may all live in a more stable and predictable worldchemistry for engendering civilization.

The same idea may be applied to culture. Unlike the economy, it is an uncontrolled variable of human existence and civilization. Just as gravity and the law of supply and demand afflicted the populace before humanity was conceptually aware of these variables, today’s civilizations are conceptually unapprised as to power of culture over humanity.

I do not believe culture should be regulated by government. Rather, I think that the individuals that constitute a society must be responsible for its culture. Successful democratic government depends upon socially responsible individuals. To help people become responsible, I hope that through this blog, we can develop a framework to help make sense of the cultural forces that are at work in our globalized world. As humans find new and instantaneous ways to interact with each other, we have unknowingly amplified the influence that we unconsciously exert upon each other. Culture is a more potent force upon our civilization today than ever before. Accordingly, I believe that each one of us must have rational control over culture—the force that fashions our preferences and perceptions and that ultimately determines the course of our civilization.

Hopefully through discussion we can culturally dissect our world. Macrocosmically, I have no doubt that we will discuss popular culture, government, art, ecology, and humanity in general. Moreover, because we will need to understand the grasp culture has over the individual mind, I hope we will also touch on some neuroscience and the great mind-brain gap mystery.

My interest in this stems from the observation that we are all subject to two types of law. One is the written law, and the other, quite simply, is the unwritten law. Culture is the unwritten law. We may act or refrain from acting because it is required or proscribed by law. The rest of the time, which is the great majority of time we spend, we are either responding to our biological needs or the cultural guidelines. For example, I am a Washingtonian, so I like the Redskins. Why do I like the Redskins, or American football for that matter? I have no idea, I just do. One could easily go a lifetime without understanding the reason for this preference. Simply stated, the culture to which I have been exposed has programmed my brain to prefer the Redskins and act accordingly. On any given autumn Sunday, when deciding what to do, I will act or refrain from acting unmindful of this predisposition (unless of course I start thinking about culture). My mind and emotions will accordingly urge me to view the Redskins game. This would be my reality without thinking why it is my reality. The mind is unconsciously bound by culture.

It is my hope that we will all benefit from this discussion by better situating ourselves to question our personal beliefs and preferences. From the above example we could discuss why I like the Redskins, what this preference brings to the table, and how the spread of such a preference might affect our future civilization. Another way to look at the discussions here: We will hopefully explore the genealogy of ideas and beliefs entrenched within us. By looking at history and the origin of particular ideas, we will be poised for a more responsible existence. We are all victims of the past and our families, but we are also kneaders of future ideologies and cultural paradigms.

There is plenty more to be said on what I have written today. I believe that this is a good introduction to what I would like to accomplish and why it is important. Unlike other blogs/forums, I do intend to merely comment on current events without tying it to culture as a force that constrains our traditional notion of free will. I invite all to comment and help provide resources for further understanding.

Welcome.

2 comments:

Mistral said...

Interesting point of view. It seems to me a very good idea.
You have to write more.
On our identity or "american" identity... I believe that this century will be a very important topic which we can not evade.
Sorry for my english.
Fernando Alcayaga

Nico said...

There will be more. I plan on updating once a week. But first, I would like some more comments.